- Pull - Pull the pin. Some units require the releasing of a lock latch, pressing a puncture lever or other motion.
- Aim - Aim the extinguisher nozzle (horn or hose).
- Squeeze - Squeeze or press the handle
- Sweep - Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it goes out. Shut off the extinguisher. Watch for re-flash and reactivate the extinguisher if necessary. Foam and water extinguishers require slightly different action. Read the instructions.
How Fire Extinguishers Work
- Although the majority of extinguishers work with our directions, there are exceptions. Read the instructions on your extinguisher for variations. Fix a picture in your mind that will fit the instructions on the extinguisher you will be using.
- If there’s a fire, get everyone outside. Call the Fire Department. Then fight a small fire only. If the fire gets large, get out. Close doors to slow the fire spread. Stay between the fire and an exit. Don’t let fire block your escape path in case it goes out of control.
- Make sure you don’t use one type extinguisher on another type fire- It may make the fire worse. Common errors (they can be fatal) are using water (A) on a grease or on an electrical fire (B or C).